What we pay for

We pay for treatment, rehabilitation and care for people who've been severely injured in a motor accident in NSW.

The Lifetime Care and Support Scheme is run by the Lifetime Care and Support Authority (which is a part of the NSW Government) and funded by a levy on NSW green slips (CTP insurance).

We pay for things like:

  • medical treatment (like hospital stays and doctor's appointments)
  • rehabilitation (like physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy)
  • aids and equipment (like wheelchairs)
  • home and vehicle modifications (like ramps or bathroom rails)
  • attendant care services (like personal care and domestic services)
  • help to return to study or work

The services must be related to the motor accident injury and be considered 'reasonable and necessary'.

For more information on what we can and cannot pay for, see this information sheet.

The Lifetime Care and Support guidelines also include information about specific areas of treatment, rehabilitation and care.

If you are eligible, we will accept you into the Scheme as an 'interim participant'. This means we will pay for your treatment, rehabilitation and care services for two years.

Towards the end that two years, we will assess your current and expected future needs to determine if you meet the criteria to become a lifetime participant. If you become a lifetime participant we will pay for these services for the rest of your life.

Read more about the application process:

Further information

The Lifetime Care & Support Scheme was established under the Motor Accidents (Lifetime Care and Support) Act 2006.

The Scheme began for children under 16 from 1 October 2006, and began for adults from 1 October 2007.