How to apply

You can apply to become a participant in the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme.

Most people severely injured in a motor accident in NSW will be taken to a major hospital. The hospital usually completes a severe Injury advice form with you or your family member, which notifies us about your injuries.

We will then appoint a LTCS Coordinator who will contact you and the hospital to find out more about your injuries and the accident, and to help you complete an interim application form to determine if you are eligible for the Scheme.

You must sign and date the form, add any documents, and return it for processing.

Your application form should include:

  1. a medical certificate
  2. an additional assessment (for brain injury and burns) might need to be completed and submitted with the application form. This is to give us extra information to see if you meet the criteria for those injury types. This assessment is called a FIM (or WeeFIM for children). There is more information on FIM and WeeFIM on our assessment tools page.
  3. a consent form signed by you or a guardian/family member (in the interim application form) which allows us to contact the people (like doctors, police and ambulance officers) who have information that might help us make a decision about your eligibility for the Scheme.

What happens after you apply

Once we receive your application we will review all the information and determine if your accident and injury meet the eligibility criteria for you to become an 'interim participant' in the Scheme. We will inform you in writing of our decision.

As an interim participant we will pay for your treatment, rehabilitation and care for up to two years while your injuries are still improving. Towards the end of that two years you will be assessed for lifetime participation. If you are eligible for lifetime participation you will receive the treatment, rehabilitation and care you need for the rest of your life.

We have an applying for lifetime participation information sheet with additional information on this process that you might find helpful.

Further information

Disputes about eligibility

If you don't agree with our decision about eligibility for the Scheme you can dispute that decision.

CTP insurance

If you were injured in a motor accident that was caused by the fault of another driver, you may be eligible for compensation under the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance scheme and a claim should be made against the insurer of the driver at fault.

Our application form, and our application form for lifetime participation in the Lifetime Care & Support Scheme, are not the same as completing a personal injury claim for CTP insurance.

For more information about CTP insurance contact the Claims Advisory Service of Motor Accidents Insurance Regulation, State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA)  on 1300 656 919. A CTP insurer can also apply to our Scheme on your behalf.


If you were injured in a motor accident in the ACT from 1 July 2014 you may be eligible for the ACT Lifetime Care and Support Scheme.

You will need to complete an application for the ACT LTCS Scheme which can be found on the ACT Treasury website along with more information about the application process for the ACT LTCS Scheme.